Netgear WiFi router is one of the widely-used networking devices to get an uninterrupted internet connection. But like any other networking device, it is also prone to technical glitches. After setting up the Netgear router, you may see an error pop-up saying ‘Error 651 Connection Failed’. In case you are completely unable to understand this error, don’t need to worry at all as we are here to help you out. Scroll down to read more.
Netgear router error code 651 signifies that the internet connection you are trying to establish is failing. There may be several reasons why the network connection fails. It is extremely important to rectify the Netgear error code 651 prior to anything wrong happens with your Netgear WiFi router. Due to this error, you may also fail to access the Netgear router login web page.
Reasons Behind Netgear Router Error 651
The error generally appears because of the following reasons:
- Incorrect configuration of the internet protocol
- The network card driver is corrupted
- No internet connectivity
- The router is improperly configured
- The drive port file is stored on a wrong location
- Two or more devices are using the same IP address as that of your router’s IP
- Corrupted registry files
Solutions To Fix Netgear Router Error Code 651
Note: The below-explained troubleshooting steps will remain the same no matter whether you have employed the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 setup or are using an old router.
1. Reconnect Your Netgear Router
This is the simplest troubleshooting step to get rid of the Netgear 651 error. To reconnect your Netgear WiFi router:
- Power off your Netgear router.
- Wait for some time.
- Thereafter, power it up again.
- Connect your Netgear router to the modem via an Ethernet cable.
- Now, connect to a WiFi network.
2. Recreating Dial-Up Connection
Chances are that the devices connected to your Netgear router get hanged. In such a case, you need to recreate your dial-up connection. Let’s have a look at the required steps to get the job done:
- Turn on your PC.
- Go to the Change Adapter Settings section.
- After that, a copy of your current internet connection will be created.
- Remove the old connection and redial the new one.
3. Reset TCP/IP on Your Computer
The next troubleshooting tip to fix the Netgear router error 651 is to reset the Windows networking stack. Here are the do-follow instructions:
- Switch on your computer.
- Launch the Command Prompt window.
- Enter the Reset command followed by the TCP/IP.
- After that, restart your computer.
Once done, try accessing the router login web page. In case the page opens properly, it indicates that the internet connection has been set up. If not, move to the next troubleshooting tip.
4. Fix the Drive Port File Issues
The drive port file is a mediator meant to connect hardware with the software. And if it is installed in a wrong manner or having the wrong name, then you may come across the Netgear router error 651. To fix the issue, rename the drive port file by following the steps given below:
- Open the My Computer folder.
- Go to the C: drive.
- Click on the Drive folder and look for the driver file.
- Once found, right-click on the file and rename it.
- Restart your PC.
Done! The Netgear router error 651 should be fixed now.
These were our proven troubleshooting tricks to rectify the Netgear error 651 instantly. Stay tuned with us for more updates.